Friday, August 18, 2017

Making my exit: The final "Better Bites" of SD with some heavy hitting Chef's and amazing plates.

In the coming weeks, I am counting down my remaining time left in this great city. I depart for good September 2nd to relocate to St Louis for a new job I have taken. The local SD food, of course, is one major thing I hate to part with. 5 years of eating great food in San Diego and 2 years blogging about it with all of you. Bittersweet does not even describe the torn feelings I have. In the time I have left I am looking to go out with a bang and hit some of the top tier places in town that the local people, the media, and my own preferences guide me to. So far it's been pretty amazing. Take a look below to see why that is. 



Trust

Thursday, August 10th, 7pm

Bites: Whole grilled Branzino- herb relish, campari tomatoes, grilled lemon 
Sides- None
Sips- Kaiden, Chardonnay


Notes: Been looking to hit up Trust for a long time! Finally made it in. I was eager to try the whole fish entree as I had heard it was one of the best in town. Having now tried it myself I must say, yes, it's up there in the best in town. Simple and straightforward, nothing too complex. A perfectly grilled fish accentuated with the right herbs, garnish, and citrus. I love being able to eat a meal like this where you savor every bite and yet you know its darn good for you at the same time. One reason I love fish entrees, almost always delicious and nutritious. Michael was my server and bar staff for the night and he was amazing. He knows the menu inside and out and can pair a good wine with any entree you're looking at. Another place with an amazing outdoor seating area with couches to enjoy their daily happy hour. Inside also has a truly impressive decor. Great place for group drinks or a date night!




The Patio on Lamont

Monday August 14th, 7pm

Bites: Whole grilled striped sea bass- roasted tomato, roasted bell pepper, salsa verde, lemon
Sides- none
Sips- Pinot Noir, Italy


Notes: As a first timer at this location I was impressed. I hope to come back here before I scoot off for good. The foods I saw coming out to other tables was worth a double take. My choice was solid as I really enjoyed my entree. Flavorful, tender, flaky fish meat as it should be. The garnish was perfect and the wine pairing out it all down even better yet. Bar staff are super kind and informed about all menu items as well. Great place for a small group dinner out. All day happy hour Monday night as well! 




Herb and Wood

Tuesday, August 15th, 7pm

Bites: Roasted Half Chicken- Smokey Braised Kale, Pickled Mustard Seeds, Caper Herb Salsa 
Sides: Roasted Cauliflower- Garlic, Parsley Vinegar, Mama’s Lil Peppers 
Sips- Malbec, Italy


Notes: A nice change with something different from fish (not that it really ever gets old for me) but to take a classic poultry dish and bring it to this level.....now that is a treat! Perfectly roasted half chicken, slightly crispy skin, moist and flavorful meat packed with flavor. This was a nice reminder of what really good chicken is meant to taste like. The roasted cauliflower is not to be overlooked either. A great pairing to any entree as I see it. Ask for Ty as your waiter, the guy is awesome! The decor and ambiance here really is truly stunning just like everyone says it is!




Kettner Exchange

Wednesday, August 15th, 7pm

Bites: Niman Ranch Pork Chop, scallion, roasted carrots, burssles, Peruvian sauce
Sides: Shishito peppers
Sips- Pino Noir, Tolosa Vineyards


Notes: Amazing service from all staff. Special note to Matt Nosse. the assistant GM. Guy is way awesome and super friendly. Well aware of the menu and what chef Brian is doing to make it so darn amazing! The chop is super flavorful and tender. The shishito peppers here may be the best I have had so far in SD. be sure to take a look around this place. I sat upstairs where half the lounge is wide open with ceiling and the other half closed in but still with great views of Little Italy. A great place for date night indeed!