Sunday, August 6, 2017

A Fish Frenzy 3 Ways

I am going to take you all on a quick but worthwhile rapid-fire rundown of three amazing places in town I have recently made debut visits to. The following venues offer some serious (and healthy) seafood fare of which I would highly recommend to anyone with a gastronomic fish-fix they need to satisfy. So let us begin!



Little Italy
Sunday July 30th 6:45pm

Entree: Red Snapper whole fish- Ajo Blanco, melon, smoked almonds, citrus curd.
Side: Blue Lake Grilled Green Beans
Sip: Bolt from the Blue cocktail (smoky campfire aroma captured in a cocktail!)


Notes: This was the entree that kicked off my continued craving for more whole fish dishes. I came for a good plate of fish and left with an experience beyond the plate. This is how I like to experience a meal out, with notes of decor, vibe, flavor, aroma, service, and others. I got that in spades here. The bar staff, servers and even the GM on staff Kim were all amazing. My meal was amazing and even my cocktail (non-drinker here) was amazing. The place is pricy but then again seafood, in general, is pricey. But at Ironside, you get what you pay for down to the penny. Now to come back in for this epic happy hour I hear so much about!



Point Loma
Tuesday, August 1, 6:45pm

Entree: Daily special of Whole Rock Fish- 
Spicy garlic, chili and tamarind sauce (a bit sweet and sour) topped with sautéed mushrooms and crispy Thai hens. Served with steamed Jasmine rice. 
Side: Steamed veggies and fresh summer shrimp rolls   
Sip: None


Notes: This is THE fish to get if you like whole fish entrees with a unique sweet and sour hit to them. The combo of sauces and the flash friend technique used to prepare this dish locks in the flavor and keeps the fish meat super tender and flavorful. Never had Thai style fish before this and now I know just what I have been missing! The looks I got from the other diners when this puppy came out were priceless! I will note as well that the summer roll I got along with the peanut sauce and sweet and sour plum sauce were some of the best I have ever had period. A must get appetizer!




Ocean Beach
Friday, August 4, 6:45pm

Entree: Sizzling Fish Plate-  Fresh water Vietnamese Basa topped with caramelized ginger, scallions, garlic, and cilantro; served with rice.
Side: Garlic Edamame and Shrimp Spring rolls
Sip: St Louis Brew Co. Cinnamon Pumpkin Sour Gueze (I do not drink much beer but I really did love this!)


Notes: A smaller portion of fish than I would have liked but what I did get I did enjoy very much. A sweet flavored fish cooked to perfection. Edamame was on point while the spring rolls were good they were not the best I have had. Service was super friendly and the bar staff was very helpful. Busy night but they kept right up! Plates kept on flying out of the kitchen and dang did they all look good!