Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Liking what I found at Luce!



Another debut experience for me this week! Heck yeah! Matter of fact had it not been for a really insightful podcast episode on DineLocalSD (episode 4), I may have never even bothered to make this visit happen. I had driven by Luce Bar & Kitchen many times before but never stopped in. After listening to the interview with head chef Kat Johnson, that all changed. Go check out the podcast yourself to find out why that is, but also, look on below and let your eyes do all the explaining for you!

Going on 5 years this coming September, Luce is doing well, let me say that! This place was fairly busy in my opinion for a Wednesday night but as told by the waitstaff it was actually unusually slow. I got lucky then I guess as my service was quick and responsive all night long and man can that kitchen spit out plates quick! Like a well-practiced orchestra from where I sat and oogled the dishes coming out.

I ended up going with the ceviche, the daily veg special of fried brussels sprouts and then an entree of Mary's chicken. Every item I got not only looked great, smelled great, but it was great! 3 for 3 on this visit for sure!

Ceviche very fresh and flavorful, not too citrusy, not too soupy and they use big chunks of mango, whitefish and avocado among other tasty items which I truly liked!

Sprouts I got minus parmesan cheese just cause I was not feeling it really, not sure why, just did'nt. No loss in flavor at all! Crispy sweet bacon pieces, a hint of balsamic reduction that was not overpowering or used too heavily. Perfect char and absolutely delicious. I had to pace myself as that could have been a meal by itself if not careful! Oh and DO NOT miss the house made hot sauce they serve with the sprouts! This stuff is money! Not fire hot but flavorful with a unique kick I really liked!

Mary's chicken was fantastic. Two major pluses, the strawberry rhubarb glaze works very well for this dish. Never had that with chicken before, glad I did cause I like! Now the polenta; something I just cannot make well myself worth a damn so I only get it when dining out and it's so pleasing to get it done the way it's meant to be as I found here. The chicken itself is super moist and tender.....again that glaze, my gosh!

The service here is impeccable! Everyone is friendly and kind. My server Erin was a class act for sure. Got me anything I needed when I needed it. She knew the whole menu and beer list very well. Super cool gal! You'll be well taken care of if you get her on your visit, trust me.

Now feast your eyes on the goods up close.....then go score yourself A Better Bite!

PS....Had there been room left, I would have certainly scored the daily dessert special posted up which was a salted caramel ice cream sandwich with heath bar cookies! Tell me that would not be pure $$!