Monday, August 28, 2017

Nearing the end: The last two weeks of SD Reviews

So these two reviews are from my second to last week in San Diego. I have one week to go before departing for good on Sept 2nd. The reality is sinking in and the days are getting short now. I can't help but think of all the many places I never got to but wanted to in my five years in this city. I stop and check myself however. I have done 90 blog posts in 2 years since this blog started. That's only 90 I have covered here, not the many, many others I have not posted here. Given that, I try and see what I did accomplish in my five years spent in San Diego and that makes me feel like I got a pretty good "bite" out of this cities amazing food scene from every level, style, cuisine, ethnicity and place of origin. This week ahead will hopefully, as it stands now, net me two more venues to wrap up my blog with. Where they will end up is for me to know and all of you to find out! Until then, check out where my taste buds took me last week. Enjoy.



Romesco Mexiterranean Cocina (Little Italy)
Tuesday August 22nd, 7pm.

Chapulines (grasshoppers, pretty sour compared to crickets which I love!)


Tostadas De Pulpo (grilled octopus)


Smoked Salmon Carpaccio (melt in your mouth goodness!)


Shrimp & Bone Marrow Sopa (loved this!!! I could at 10 easy)


Albacore Two Ways 

Grilled Octopus (bomb!)


On Tuesdays, they have 1/2 off ALL their tapas menu items so this is truly the best day of the week to go and try a bit of everything. Bring a group and share. You could hit the whole tapas menu with 4 people easy. Do it! Thank me later. Very nice upstairs dining space overlooking the corner of Kettner at Beech. 



Common Theory Public House (Convoy)
Friday August 25th, 7pm

Beets by CT salad (super refreshing and very flavorful!)


Glazed Rainbow Carrots (killer ginger-citrus glaze!)


OG Fried Brussels (they do it right here every time!)


Market Fried Fish (sole) with carrot chips. Tasty and flake tender but fish had very little actual meat on it)

What I really like about coming here besides the great food and service is the swagger this place has. It lives up to its concept of being a true public house. It's open and inviting, has a welcoming appeal to it. The corner sofas, couches, chairs and shareable tables. The long picnic style tables in the middle of the place and the booths in the back. It offers a very open and communal feel. You come, sit, and want to stay, talk, socialize, feel like a regular the first time you're there. Being a solo diner on this visit I enjoyed a good hour and a half stay on one of those cushy corner chairs and savored meal start to end as well as the peculiar vibe. If I could only bring places like this with me to St. Louis!