Saturday, July 22, 2017

Great Seafood, Views and Service: The Bali Hai Debut

Bali Hai Restaurant - Shelter Island, Point Loma, San Diego

630pm Tuesday, July 18th



Pretty darn content at the moment I must say!


For someone who lives in Point Loma just a couple miles away from the Bali Hai restaurant on Shelter Island, it's just wrong that it took me 2.5 years as a resident here to finally get in here and check them out! I now see I have in fact been missing out BIG TIME on their dinner menu, views, stiff drinks and incredible service for far too long. Not the case anymore. I had known all about their famous Sunday brunch but even that never got me in the doors due to my Sunday morning schedule most weekends. But now I feel that may have to change having now gotten a true taste of what the Bali Hai is all about.

I arrived to find the place fairly busy but nothing crazy. Some JROTC event was happening downstairs and outside on the waterfront patio area. I dined in the primary upstairs dining room space which hit me with 3 things very clear right away. 1) The amazing and spectacular almost 180-degree window view of the bay and downtown but also 2) the seating with ample space between all the tables. This made for a very open and non-cramped feel which I really enjoyed. You could probably fit more tables in the dining area but that would certainly dampen the open and free flow of traffic the room has. 3) A clearly distinguishable feel of the Pacific islands and Asian fusion. I cant really describe it as its something that hits all the senses collectively. You really need to be there and see it for yourself. It's like Dorthy from the Wizard of Oz said, "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."


Lets get to business and show you the goods shall we?







The famous Bali Hai Mai Tai-               
One really is enough, pace yourself folks!








































     The Hawaiian Tuna Poke - flavorful, fresh and simple. Prime dinner starter choice!








Steamed, stuffed whole market fish. The BEST I have ever had period. Melt in your mouth tender fish and superb flavor. The new standard to which I measure whole fish plates from now on. I love being able to eat well and truly savor every bite of a meal knowing its doing the mind and body good!




Szechuan style Vegetables - A simple and welcome pairing side dish to any entree. Gotta get your veggies in right?



Thai brussel sprouts with Chinese Sausage - has to be in the top 5 I have had in San Diego so far. Not swimming in too much balsamic, soy or oil/dressing. Just enough to allow the sprouts to explode with flavor. Char level was perfect as well.









Flash fried shishito peppers- also done just right. Not doused in soy, sauce, salt or vinegar any more than needed. Perfectly blistered and not overly done.








Chef Dion is working some genuine culinary magic in that kitchen let me say that much! Nothing I had was less than impressive. From the service I received, the wholesome and delicious meal I had and the stunning views I took in, Bali Hai makes for an experience as much as a dining destination. A healthy one at that! I cannot imagine too many other places in town offer the kind of unique experience one can have here. I can say right now, I will be making several return visits from now on, starting with a visit to the famous Sunday brunch everyone raves about! See you all there I hope!


View from my seat inside along the window seating.